Thursday, August 11, 2011

Healthy Eating While Recovering...

So you may ask - what does a triathlete in training do when things go askew????

Unfortunately, not a lot for the first 5 days, I have been resting, laying with the dog, watching way too much TV and going ape-shit crazy.  I do have to say the big positive is being waited on hand and foot by the "best husband ever!!"

HOWEVER, I am so used to going, going, going that this is very difficult.  Besides reading my book on home-brewing, writing out my list for what I will need when I start my first brew, I also decided to try to figure out what I will be eating during my little "holiday" from working out.  14 hours a week of training down to 0 for a couple weeks means my caloric intake needs to be less (much less) and it needs to come from some quality ingredients!!


My go-to supplements during this time are multi, calcium with D, omega-3, vitamin M (otherwise known as motrin or ibuprofen...), Kombucha (truly believe in this stuff) and Arnica Gel for some topical pain relief.
I went to the farmer's market and stocked up on some goodies...and figured there will be some key recipes posted over the next week (an area that I have been lacking to post about lately!)

Here are a couple I was able to do with little effort as I didn't want to over exert myself.

Mixed Beet Chickpea Quinoa Salad
1 red beet
1 golden beet
Olive Oil
Sea Salt
Balsamic Vinegar
21 Seasoning Salute (Trader Joe's) or any peppery seasoning
2 handfuls of baby spinach
1/2 can chickpeas
1 cup of quinoa
2 cups of water
Goat cheese

Wash beets and cut in small pieces.  Toss in some olive oil, sea salt and seasoning and lay on roasting pan. 
best seasoning ever!!!

Roast for 30 min at 400 degrees.

Let cool on baking pan.

In the meantime, cook quinoa.  Use 2 cups of water with 1 cup of rinsed quinoa.  Let it come to a boil, then simmer covered for about 20 min.

Once beets are cooled slightly, add quinoa, spinach, chickpeas.  Add some balsamic glaze and a little olive oil (you already have some from the roasting).  Scoop in a bowl and add some goat cheese (which melts to make it creamy...).
this was actually an older picture, I added a little tofu to the mix instead of beans

Awesome and great for left overs as a snack or post recovery food!!!


Fish Tacos with Roasted Veggies

3 tomatillos
1 large tomato
3 poblano peppers
olive oil
Sea Salt

Slice up and roast at 400 degrees for about 20-30 minutes and take out.

 
Lower temp to 350 for the fish.


Melinda's mango habanero sauce
Fresh squeezed lime juice
Salt
21 Seasoning Salute
Wild-caught halibut or other mild white fish.

Marinate for about 30 minutes covered with plastic wrap.  Bake at 350 for about 20-30 minutes or until flaky.

I served this with blue corn tortillas from Whole Foods and some shredded low fat Mexican cheese.  I softened the tortillas using some PAM in a pan for about 30 seconds per side.  I also served this with some brown rice mix and cilantro from Trader Joes.
Asian Quinoa Bowl

2 cups of water
1 cup of quinoa
2 spring onions chopped
1 cup of edamame
1 cup of black beans
Steamed fresh string beans
Cilantro
Island Teriaki sauce from TJ
Avocado

Cook quinoa (refer to other recipe) or you can use brown rice.  Add everything together and a couple tablespoons of teriaki sauce. 
 
I also added sirachi sauce for some extra spice and some grilled chicken for some more protein.  I add the diced avocado at the end, because if refrigerating it, you don't want the avocado to go brown.



Blueberry-Peach Cobbler

Also for a quick dessert, I threw together left over containers of blueberries (yeah Jersey), some Jersey peaches tossed with agave.  I then made a topping of crushed thin ginger snaps from (you guessed it...) Trader Joe's, some brown sugar and margarine by cutting it to make little balled crumbs.  It was awesome.  I threw it in the oven for 25 min at 350 degrees.
 

I hope to have some new recipes using my Farmer's Market goodies for the next post!  AND a new HGRC logo that we have been working on...

3 comments:

  1. not a beet fan but the last 2 recipes sound yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just sitting has to be hard...I need to be on the move too, I'd go nuts.

    I've never tried beets...or not in a long time anyway. The quinoa bowl looks really good too, but I can't turn down anything with avocado. I've made blueberry & peach cobbler before, but not with ginger snaps, that sounds awesome! For the topping I've used some simple recipe from a magazine that I think just called for 1 c. flour, 1 c. sugar, and 1 egg and optional butter drizzled over the top.

    PS, I get pizza from TJ's in Lawrenceville. We are dangerously close to it...I swear they pump garlic out of their vents in the direction of my apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So hard to sit still... but you know it's for the best!!!

    Those recipes sound delish. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...