Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Farmer's Market Finds - Gazpacho Ingredients

Last week I went to Z Foods Farm in Lawrenceville, NJ to check out what they had.  A friend of mine has been a long-time supporter of their organic veggies....So I came home with a lot of goodies/ingredients for some recipes. 

During my time on the couch to recover from this injury, I watched some more of my favorites - Giada at Home and Barefoot Contessa.  Giada made a spicy gazpacho which I have to say the thought of cold soup doesn't sound all that appetizing; however, she always makes it look so awesome so I was on the hunt at the farmer's market for the ingredients.  I like to do my own thing and not follow any real recipe so I was hunting for tomatoes, peppers, onions and cucumbers.  Good old Ina was doing a show on the farmer's market so I was inspired!!

Here is the outcome of the two shows:

FYI -- there is no exact recipe I just cut up a bunch of stuff and threw it in.  I don't think you can go wrong -  I did add some vinegar (I used brown rice vinegar but apple cider vinegar or white vinegar would work) and sea salt and pepper.
Purple basil - I used a couple leaves and used the rest for some home-made pesto

Three on the left are variations of cucumbers, then some yellow squash and sweet onions

some heirloom tomatoes


Peppers made a nice flavor to the gazpacho along with purple basil

Ending product
After all this was said and done.  I poured some in a bowl, added a little dollop of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (the good stuff) and then sliced up some avocados.  Christine came over that night to cheer me up, work on some HGRC logos for new shirts.  She used the gazpacho as a salsa which was equally good.

I think this changed my mind on gazpacho moving forward!


1 comment:

  1. Yay for Z farm! The guy who sells their stuff at the Lawrenceville Farmer's Market on Saturdays is always so friendly and seems so knowledgeable on the different varieties they bring to the market each week.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...