Saturday, April 10, 2010

Fueeeel Me, Seymor

Don't ask why I have Little Shop of Horrors in my head while I made this recipe. The original recipe comes from Clean Eating Magazine for Salmon dill spinach quesadillas. However, I had sushi the night before and wasn't much feeling very fishy, so I improvised as I usually do with recipes - what fun is it to follow an ACTUAL recipe (except when it comes to baking, of course). Maybe it's just a combination of being ADD and Italian...I hear they can be one and the same.

I digress...so after my 5 mile run at the canal while thinking of food the entire run, I hit up Wegmans and picked up a rotisserie chicken fro $4.99 (can't beat it - sooo good too).

Ingredients
Chicken breast from 1 rotisserie chicken (I used 1/2 and save the other half for lunch the next day) since it was just for me.
1 multigrain with flax flatbread (Flat Out! brand - low in carbs/higher in protein) cut in half.
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1/4 bag of baby spinach
5 artichoke hearts in brine - drained and chopped
2 plum tomatoes - chopped
About 1/4 cup of chopped dill
3 scallions chopped (mostly the whites with little green)
1 wedge of Laughing cow Light Garlic and Herb




Add olive oil over medium heat, let heat a little, throw in the chicken, dill, artichokes and spinach. Sautee for about 5 min.


Put into a bowl once sauteed and spinach wilts. Then place a little more olive oil and wipe the pan with a paper towel. Add the first half of the flatbread and toast for 1 min per side.

Add your mixture to last flatbread, add tomatoes, scallions. Cut up the cheese and place strategically on the mix and place the other flatbread on top. Use a flat spatula to press (almost like a panini) and then carefully flip over for another min. It may go all over a little so just get over being anal and put it of the dish and eat it separately...I didn't say this was perfect!!


I added some Fage 0% plain yogurt and my favorite salsa and cut into 4's. All in all I calculated it to be about 288 calories (depending on how much olive oil you use - this could go up about 20 calories and add a couple grams of fat) with 7 g of fat, 37g of protein and 24g of carb!!

And yes, I am somewhat obsessive of labels and calories, etc. I recently found Lose it! app for the iPhone!!! Awesome, I can input my foods and exercise just to make sure I am staying on track with my nutrition. It has so many foods already in the database so it can give you the carb/fat/protein content as well.

A few years ago I didn't care so much about food and triathlon training, but then I started gaining weight which was mostly due to not doing weights and so much cardio - you think you can eat alot of carbs, but in actuality you need more protein for your muscles for recovery and performance. I noticed I was really tired all the time. It seemed I wasn't getting enough protein. I learned so much by going to a nutritionist and learned how to better pair my food and adding more fat to my diet - like having egg yolk with the egg white omelette - what a concept haha. Don't get me wrong you still need the carbs but not always in the form of wheat! I started adding more grains (quinoa, barley, etc.) and have seen a difference.

A typical day might look like this:

AM - ezekial english muffin, PB2 (phenomenal peanut butter powder that can be added to a shake or add water to make your own peanut butter!!), 1 cup of Nancy's cottage cheese (with probiotics)

Snack - 1 cup of Fage 0% cottage cheese and 1/4 cup of blueberries

Lunch - Chicken, Spinach Dill Quesadillas

Snack - Gluten free Rice crackers with 2 tbsp of hummus and some carrots

Dinner - Salmon and quinoa with mushrooms, spinach and garlic and a small salad with vinegar or fat free calorie free salad dressing.

Snack - pro-pudding vanilla (at the Vitamin Shoppe) with cinnamon

Depending on the number of workouts in a day - I may have a protein/carb shake (200 calories - 20g/20g mix) after a hard workout.

and I am not a saint by any means - so vino or beer is usually added at least a 2-3 days a week :)

I recently talked to my nutrionist showing her my plan for the 1/2 ironman. She is going to be designing some different guidelines which I will be sharing with you all soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...